In light of recent events surrounding COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in a long term care facility on the mainland, we wanted to reassure you that Berwick Retirement Communities is exercising an abundance of caution in order to continue to protect the health and well-being of our residents and staff by immediately implementing some of these additional precautions during this concerning time.
- Berwick is requesting that unless essential all visitors refrain for coming to the community. If you must visit – Berwick is requesting that visits be held within resident suites rather than common gathering areas. Please ensure you are healthy and that you wash your hands and utilize hand sanitizer which is readily available throughout our sites.
- Berwick will be cancelling all community events and outings of large groups
- Berwick is pre-screening, prior to arrival on site, all Head office personnel, tours and essential service providers (i.e. delivery personnel, contractors etc.) by asking them a series of questions to reduce the risk of potential exposure to infection from the community – if you answer yes to any of the questions below, please refrain from visiting any Berwick Retirement Community for a period of 14 days.
- Have you or any person(s) you reside with returned from China, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore, South Korea or been on a cruise ship in the last 14 days?
- Have you had close contact with or cared for someone diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days?
- Have you or someone you reside with experienced any cold or flu-like symptoms in the last 14 days (to include fever, cough, sore throat, respiratory illness, difficulty breathing)?
- Berwick is cancelling all private dining events, guest meals and guest suite stays
- Staff who are unwell have been notified and requested to refrain from coming to work. Any staff who work at other sites in the community that have outbreaks are prohibited from working at our sites during the outbreak as per company policy.
- Berwick is continuing to add additional staff and work hours where needed to help assist in cleaning and disinfecting all high touch point areas
- Berwick has increased the number of hand sanitization & education stations within our communities
- Our Clinical Resource Team is conducting educational in-services and providing around the clock support to our staff to help them provide the best care and services to our residents. This team is also available to answer questions our residents and families may have.
Proper handwashing is paramount to reducing the spread of germs and viruses so we are urging everyone to maintain good hand hygiene practices year round. Thank you for your continued understanding and patience during this time. Your continued support of our common goal of keeping everyone at Berwick Retirement Communities safe, healthy and happy is greatly appreciated.
How To Handwash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmVJQUCm4E
Cough Etiquette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl8NXvPlIBg
For media inquiries, please contact:
Lesley Sikorski, Director of Sales & Marketing